The Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit organization, independent of government. Its activities are carried out through the volunteer contributions and talents of the service, business, industrial, and professional individuals that comprise its membership.
The Humboldt & District Chamber of Commerce (HDCC) has been doing work in Humboldt for over 110 years. Membership has grown significantly in the past few years with the Chamber reaching a milestone of 200 members in 2011. While once an organization that focused on the City of Humboldt, we are now reaching out to the entire region to encompass businesses within a 50+km radius of Humboldt.
A-List Dance& Acrobatics
Spotlight Sports &Corporate Wear
Royal Bankof Canada
Horizon School Division
The Business Retention & Expansion Committee is responsible for reviewing and recommending any potential opportunities brought forth by an outside organization, Chamber Member, or Chamber Board Member, as it relates to expanding business growth in the region or retaining current businesses. Some of the projects that fall under the scope of this committee include, but are not limited to: Communication with Municipal Government, growth opportunities and challenges, service gaps, health and education, renew and recruit new members.
The Public Relations & Promotions committee is responsible for bringing forth new ideas and initatives to increase awareness about Humboldt and Area Businesses. In addition, this committee works to promote Humboldt and Area, as well as to organize events that not only showcase what we have to offer but also recognize the efforts and successes of local businesses. The PR & P committee also works to find ways to increase community involvement in Chamber issues as well as ensure that the needs of the needs of our members are being met. Projects included in the scope of the Public Relations & Promotions committee include, but are not limited to: Annual Business Showcase & Tradeshow, Mark of Excellence Awards Banquet, Courtesy Service Awards, Chamber Luncheons and seminars, media relations, marketing our region, website, newsletters and Chamber Chat.
The first meeting of the Humboldt Board of Trade was held on February 7, 1906 in the Windsor Hotel. After elections were completed, the members developed a draft set of bylaws and discussed letterhead styles for approval at their next meeting.
In 1909 Humboldt Town Council began providing a grant to the Board of Trade. The sum of the grant would be equal to the amount collected in membership fees. The Board established committees to pursue different community initiatives. The committees included finance, civic improvements, railway and shipping, entertainment, immigration and advertising, agriculture and industries. The public market committee held its first market in April 1909 with an auction and sale of goods and produce.
Within the next few years, the Board of Trade built an office building directly south of the Windsor Hotel on the Canadian Northern Railway grounds. Inside the building were exhibits that showed the productiveness of the Humboldt and surrounding area to travelers and settlers arriving by train. The board employed a full-time secretary-manager who developed publicity packages to encourage settlement and attract new business to Humboldt. By 1913 the Board of Trade was publishing 24 page booklets promoting Humboldt for future development.
The name of the Humboldt Board of Trade was changed at a banquet in May 1923. President J. Yoerger proposed a new name of “Humboldt and District Board of Trade”. Members at this event spoke of the need for more community spirit in Humboldt district and wanted everyone to pull together for the good of the town and district. The name that was eventually chosen was “Humboldt Community Club”.
The Community Club carried on the work of the Board of Trade for a few years until the fall of 1928. At the September meeting that year the group supported the idea of Town Council offering reasonable inducements to companies considering locating in Humboldt. Members present expressed the opinion that the Board of Trade was a necessity and the motion of re-organizing the club was unanimously approved. The board felt that industries were moving west and Humboldt was well situated to share in the expansion. With the re-organization of the Board of Trade, the Community Club went out of existence.